Place:


Lancing  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lancing like this:

LANCING, a village and a parish in Worthing district, Sussex. The village stands near the river Adur, and near the South Coast railway, 2 miles WNW of Shoreham; and has a station on the railway, at Lower Lancing hamlet, and a post-office, of the name of North Lancing, under Shoreham. The parish extends to the river Adur, and to the coast; and comprises 2,524 acres of land, and 738 of water. ...


Real property, £5,878. Pop. in 1851,828; in 1861,950. Houses, 172. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of market-gardening, and from the erection of a redoubt, St. Nicholas' college, and a few labourers' cottages. The college is a school for the sons of gentlemen; was founded, in 1848, within Shoreham parish; was removed in 1858 to an eminence, with a fine view, in Lancing parish; and is a large and handsome edifice, designed to have accommodation for upwards of 350 boys. Lancing House and great part of the land belong to Col. G. Carr-Lloyd. The name Lancing may possibly have been derived from Wlencing, a son of the Saxon king Ella. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £151.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is early English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and was recently repaired. There are a national school, and a coast-guard station.

Lancing through time

Lancing is now part of Adur district. Click here for graphs and data of how Adur has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lancing itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lancing, in Adur and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9327

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lancing ".