Place:


Binsey  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Binsey like this:

BINSEY, a small village and a parish in the district of Abingdon and county of Oxford. The village stands on the right bank of the Isis, near the West Midland railway, 1½ mile NNW of Oxford. It was originally called Thorney, from a profusion of thorns around it; and it afterwards took the name of Binsey, signifying the Island of Prayer, from its being a retreat of nuns and a great resort of pilgrims. ...


A rude church was constructed adjacent to it, about the year 730, by St. Frideswide; and this, together with a reputed holy well, drew crowds of pilgrims for ages, insomuch that 24 inns stood in the neighbourhood for their accommodation. The parish comprises 470 acres; and its Post Town is Oxford. Real property, £1,002. Pop., 67. Houses, 15. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £90. Patron, Christ Church College, Oxford. The church is an ancient brick building, without a tower.

Binsey through time

Binsey is now part of Oxford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oxford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Binsey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Binsey, in Oxford and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9312

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Binsey ".