Place:


Asthall  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Asthall like this:

ASTHALL, a village and a parish in Witney district, Oxford. The village stands on the Windrush river, and on Akeman-street, at the SW end of Wychwood forest, 2¾ miles ESE of Burford, and 5 S of Ascott r. station. It was known to the Saxons as Esthale, and belonged to Roger d'Ivri. The parish includes also the hamlet of Asthall-Leigh. ...


Post Town, Burford, under Faringdon. Acres, 1,180. Real property, £2,386. Pop., 424. Houses, 89. The manor belonged to the Lumleys, the Joneses, and the Fettiplaces; and the manor-house is now a farmhouse. A large barrow, believed to be the sepulchre of some person of note, is on Akeman-street The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £100. Patron, Eton College. The church is ancient; and a new one, at Asthall-Leigh, was recently built There are two small free schools, and charities £25.

Asthall through time

Asthall is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Asthall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Asthall in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9152

Date accessed: 23rd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Asthall ".