Place:


Hillmorton  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hillmorton like this:

HILLMORTON, a village and a parish in Rugby district, Warwick. The village stands partly on an eminence, partly on an affluent of the river Avon, adjacent to the Northwestern railway, near the Oxford canal, and the boundary with Northampton, 2¼ miles from Watlingstreet, and 2½ ESE of Rugby r. ...


station; and has a postoffice under Rugby, and a Home mission and readingroom. The upper part of it was anciently called Hill or Hull, the lower part, Moreton; and these two names combined give the name Hillmorton.—The parish comprises 3, 150 acres. Real property, £7, 337; of which £50 are in quarries. Pop., 978. Houses, 225. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Thomas Townsend, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300. Patron, the Rev. E. M Stanley. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with square tower; and contains an effigies of a priest, and two monuments of the Astley family. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £16, and other charities with £82.

Hillmorton through time

Hillmorton is now part of Rugby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rugby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hillmorton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hillmorton, in Rugby and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9125

Date accessed: 05th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hillmorton ".