Place:


Skegness  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skegness like this:

SKEGNESS, a village and a parish in Spilsby district, Lincoln. The village stands on the coast, 6 miles ESE of Burgh r. station, and 10 E by S of Spilsby; succeeded an ancient walled town, with a castle, swept away by the sea before the time of Henry VIII.; is a sea-bathing resort; and has a post-office under Boston, two hotels, lodging-houses, baths, bathing-machines, a coastguard station, and a lifeboat. ...


The parish comprises 1,644 acres of land, and 830 of water. Real property, £3,455. Pop., 322. Houses, 70. The manor belongs to Lord Monson. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £180.* Patron, the Earl of Scarborough. The church is old. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £6.

Skegness through time

Skegness is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skegness itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skegness, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/911

Date accessed: 10th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skegness ".