Place:


Willingdon  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Willingdon like this:

WILLINGDON, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Sussex. The village stands 1¾ mile SSE of Polegate r. station, and 2½ N by W of Eastbourne; and has a post-office under Hurst-Green. The parish extends to the coast; comprises 4,217 acres of land and 42 of water; and is in Eastbourne district. ...


Real property, £5,742. Pop. in 1861, 709. Houses, 152. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter ofThe church is early English, and has a tower and spire. There are a parochial school and a reading room. -The hundred contains 5 parishes, and is in Pevensey rape. Acres, 13,276. Pop. in 1851, 1,578. Houses, 300.

Willingdon through time

Willingdon is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Willingdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Willingdon, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9061

Date accessed: 22nd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Willingdon ".