Place:


Westham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westham like this:

WESTHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Eastbourne district, Sussex. The village is suburban to Pevensey, adjoins P. r. station, was formerly considered a hamlet of P., and took its name from being on the W side of P. castle. The parish comprises 4,530 acres of land and 188 of water. ...


Post town, Pevensey, under Eastbourne. Real property, £7,188. Pop., 833. Houses, 179. Peelings House, Thorn House, Montague House, Handcombe Hall, Priest-Hawes, and Langley are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £550.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is chiefly decorated English. There are a national school, alms houses, and charities £98. --The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 18,927. Pop., 2,594. Houses, 554.

Westham through time

Westham is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westham, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9057

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westham ".