Place:


Warbleton  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Warbleton like this:

WARBLETON, a parish in Hailsham district, Sussex; 6½ miles N by E of Hailsham r. station. It has a post-office under Hurst-Green. Acres, 5,763. Real property, £5,518. Pop., 1,431. Houses, 282. The manor belongs to the Earls of Ashburnham and Chichester, and the Trustees of Smith's charity. ...


Stone House is the seat of J. R. Dunn, Esq.; and Markly, of G. Darby, Esq. An Augustinian canonry was founded here, in 1413, by Sir J. Pelham; and now forms part of a farmhouse The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £585.* Patron, the Rev. G. E. Haviland. The church is good; and there are a parochial school, and charities £58.

Warbleton through time

Warbleton is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Warbleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Warbleton, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9049

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Warbleton ".