Place:


Waldron  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Waldron like this:

WALDRON, a parish in Uckfield district, Sussex; 5½ miles ESE of Uckfield r. station. It has a post-office under Hurst-Green; and it contains Cross-in-Hand, which has an inn and two fairs. Acres, 6,218. Real property, £4,890. Pop., 1,132. Houses, 204. The manors belong to the Earl of Chichester and Louis Huth, Esq. ...


Horeham, Tanners, and Popingworth were formerly fine mansions, and are now farm-houses; but a noble residence has lately been built on the Popingworth estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £455. Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The church was restored in 1862; and another church built in 1863, at Cross-in-Hand. There are a Wesleyan chapel and two parochial schools.

Waldron through time

Waldron is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Waldron itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Waldron, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9047

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Waldron ".