Place:


Tintern  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tintern like this:

TINTERN-ABBEY, a hamlet in Chapel-Hill parish, Monmouth; on the river Wye, 4 miles N of Chepstow r. station. It has a post-office† under Chepstow. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1131, by Walter de Clare; did not begin to be used till 1268; was completed about 1290 by the Bigods; and went, at the dissolution, to the Somersets. ...


The church measured 230 feet in length; and comprised a nave of six bays, a choir of four bays, and a transept of eight bays 160 feet long. The cloisters were on the N of the nave; the chapter-house stood on the E side of the cloisters; and the guesthouse stood in the orchard. The ruins of the church still stand in tolerable completeness; exhibit transitional early English architecture, in very fine character: have been admired by all observers as about the finest architectural specimen of their age; and are depicted, in glowing terms, by a profusion of famous writers, both prosaic and poetical.

Tintern through time

Tintern is now part of Monmouthshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Monmouthshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tintern itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tintern in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8958

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tintern ".