Place:


Talyllychau  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Talyllychau like this:

TALLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Llandilo-fawr district, Carmarthen. The village stands in a deep vale, at the head of two lakes, 5¼ miles NNW of Talley-Road r. station, and 7 N of Llandilo-fawr; and has a post-office under Carmarthen, and a fair on 6 and 7 Aug. The parish is cut into two divisions, lower and upper, each including three hamlets; and it comprises 7,167 acres. ...


Real property, £4,881. Pop., 1,022. Houses, 208. The property is much subdivided. A Premonstratensian priory, a cell to Welbeck abbey, was founded here by Rhys ab Gruffydd; was given, at the dissolution, to the Williamses; and has left some small but interesting remains. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £150. Patron, the Rev. W. Nicholls. The church was rebuilt in 1773.—The sub-district includes Llansawel parish, and comprises 17,184 acres. Pop., 2,025. Houses, 415.

Talyllychau through time

Talyllychau is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Talyllychau itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Talyllychau in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8946

Date accessed: 26th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Talyllychau ".