Place:


South Charlton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Charlton like this:

CHARLTON (South), a township-chapelry in Ellingham parish, Northumberland, 3¾ miles SW of Christon Bank r. station, and 5 NNW of Alnwick. Post Town, Rock, under Alnwick. Acres, 1,866. Pop., 153. Houses, 28. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £200. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church was built in 1862.

South Charlton through time

South Charlton is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Charlton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Charlton, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8920

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Charlton ".