Place:


Petworth  Sussex

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Petworth like this:

Petworth, market town and par. with ry. sta., Sussex, 14 miles NE. of Chichester and 55 SW. of London by rail, 6129 ac., pop. 2942; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. The town stands on an eminence near the river West Rother, and was known at Domesday as Peteorde; is irregularly built, but has many good houses, and has been much improved. ...


A good trade in corn is carried on, and fairs for cattle are held thrice a year. Marble quarries are in the neighbourhood. Petworth House is the seat of Lord Leconfield; the park is 12 miles in circuit; the mansion, a modern building, which has replaced the old manorial castle, contains a rich collection of paintings and statuary of great historical interest.

Petworth through time

Petworth is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Petworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Petworth, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8892

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Petworth ".