Place:


Bywell  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bywell like this:

BYWELL-ST. PETER, a township and a parish in Hexham district, Northumberland. The township includes part of Bywell village. Pop., 94. Houses, 20. The parish includes also the townships of Whittonstall, Newlands, Espershields, Healy, High Fortherley, Broomley, Apperley, Stelling, Newton, and Newton Hall; extends southward to the river Derwent at the boundary with Durham; and is nearly 8 miles long and 5 miles broad. ...


Post Town, Stocksfield, Northumberland. Acres. 17,784. Real property, £9,296. Pop., 1,574. Houses, 288. The property is divided among a few. Much of the land in the south is high and poor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church has a square tower, and is good. The p. curacy of Whittonstall is a separate charge.

Bywell through time

Bywell is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bywell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bywell, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8871

Date accessed: 24th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bywell ".