Place:


Laughton  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Laughton like this:

LAUGHTON, a village and a parish in Hailsham district, Sussex. The village stands 5 miles NE of Glynde r. station, and 6 ENE of Lewes; and has a post-office under Hurst-Green. The parish comprises 5,075 acres. Real property, £5,449. Pop., 742. Houses, 158. The property is divided among a. ...


few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Chichester, and includes nearly the whole of the six parishes of Shiplake hundred. Laughton Place has belonged to the Pelhams since the beginning of the 15th century; was built in 1534; and is represented now by only a brick tower and a moat. The tower stands attached to a modern farm-house, amid a wide plain, which was formerly the park; and it commands an extensive panoramic view. The moat encircles about 3 acres. Laughton Lodge is the seat of Sir James Duke, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £243.* Patron, the Earl of Chichester. The church consists of nave and chancel, in good condition; and is the burial-place of the Pelham family. There is a free school.

Laughton through time

Laughton is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Laughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Laughton, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8764

Date accessed: 26th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Laughton ".