Place:


Knutsford  Cheshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Knutsford like this:

Knutsford, market town and par. with ry. sta., Cheshire, in N. of co., near river Birken, 7 miles NW. of Northwich, 15 miles SW. of Manchester, and 172 NW. of London by rail--par., 4931 ac., pop. 4859; town (comprising Nether Knutsford township and part of the township of Over Knutsford), pop. ...


4290; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. Knutsford (supposed to have been originally Canutes Ford) is a town of great antiquity; it occupies a pleasant and healthy situation on high ground, and contains many fine residences of Manchester merchants. The town possesses a grammar school, established prior to the Reformation. The mfrs. of cotton, worsted, and leather goods are the chief industries. Knutsford par. contains the townships of Nether Knutsford, 793 ac., pop. 3895, and Over Knutsford, 967 ac., pop. 410.

Knutsford through time

Knutsford is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knutsford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knutsford, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/872

Date accessed: 21st August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knutsford ".