Place:


Brandon  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brandon like this:

BRANDON and BRETFORD, a township in wolston parish, Warwick; on the river Avon, and on the Birmingham and Rugby railway, 5 miles ESE of Coventry. It has a station, of the name of Brandon, on the railway. Real property, £4,044. Pop., 814. Houses, 191. Here were anciently a castle, built soon after the Conquest; a small convent of black nuns, founded by Jeffrey de Clinton, and given to Kenilworth priory; and a chapel or hospital of St. Edmond, founded by the Turvilles, lords of Wolston. Some traces of the castle still exist. Brandon House is the seat of the Beech family.

Brandon through time

Brandon is now part of Rugby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rugby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brandon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brandon, in Rugby and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8648

Date accessed: 24th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brandon ".