Place:


East Hoathly  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Hoathly like this:

HOATHLY (EAST), or EASTHOTHLY, a village and a parish in Uckfield district, Sussex. The village stands about 4½ miles SE by S of Uckfield railway station, and 7 N w of Hailsham; and has a post office under Hurstgreen, and a fair on 8 April. The parish contains also the hamlets of Grays, Whitesmiths, and the Nursery. ...


Acres, 2, 000. Real property, £3, 112. Pop., 615. Houses, 116. The manor, with much of the land, belongs to the Earl of Chichester; and much of the land belongs also to W. Gilliat, Esq. Hallend House, once the seat of the Pelham family, stood on the S border, and now is partly taken down, is partly a farm house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £261.* Patron, the Earl of Abergavenny. The old church was chiefly later English; and was, with the exception of its tower, taken down in 1856. The new church was erected afterwards; and is a neat edifice of nave, chancel, and porch. Here is an Independent chapel.

East Hoathly through time

East Hoathly is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Hoathly itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Hoathly, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8607

Date accessed: 23rd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Hoathly ".