Place:


Sheriff Hales  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sheriff Hales like this:

SHERIFF-HALES, a township in Shiffnal district, Salop and Stafford, and a parish partly also in Newport district, Salop. The township lies 3¼ miles N by E of Shiffnal r. station; and has a post-office under Newport, Salop. Acres of the Salop portion, 2,513; of the Stafford portion, 2,878. ...


Real property, £2,700 and £4,594. Pop., 166 and 650. Houses, 36 and 133. The parish contains also the chapelry of Woodcote, and comprises 6,639 acres. Pop., 966. Houses, 196. The manor belongs to the Duke of Sutherland. Ironstone abounds, and there is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage, with Woodcote chapelry, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £614.* Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church is tolerable. There are a chapel of ease at Woodcote, a Wesleyan chapel, and national schools.

Sheriff Hales through time

Sheriff Hales is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sheriff Hales itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sheriff Hales, in Bridgnorth and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8510

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sheriff Hales ".