Place:


Flockton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Flockton like this:

FLOCKTON, a chapelry in Thornhill parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 4½ miles WNW of Haigh r. station, and 6½ E by S of Huddersfield. It has a post office under Wakefield. Acres, 1, 090. Real property, £7, 067; of which £2, 480 are in mines. Pop., 1, 090. Houses, 238. The property is much subdivided. ...


Flockton Hall is a principal residence. Many of the inhabitants are coal-miners. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, 94.* Patrons, Certain Trustees. The church is tolerable; and there are four dissenting chapels An endowed school has £6; and other charities have £95.

Flockton through time

Flockton is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Flockton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Flockton, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/849

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Flockton ".