Place:


Penderyn  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penderyn like this:

PENDERYN, a parish, comprising the hamlets of Lower P. and Upper P., in the district of Merthyr-Tyd-vil and county of Brecon; between the rivers Hepste and Taff, adjacent to Glamorgan; 2¼ miles N N W of Hirwain r. station, and 7 W by N of Merthyr-Tydvil. Post-town, Hirwain, under Aberdare. ...


Acres, 12, 765. Real property of Lower P., £4, 966; of which £381 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 552; in 1861, 1, 134. Houses, 256. The decrease of pop. was caused by the stoppage of Hirwain iron-works. Real property of Upper P., £1, 679; of which £115 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 225; in 1861, 197. Houses, 34. The property is divided among a few. The rocks include limestone, coal, ironore, and fire-clay. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £235. Patron, W. Winter, Esq. The church is good.

Penderyn through time

Penderyn is now part of Rhondda; Cynon; Taff district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rhondda; Cynon; Taff has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penderyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penderyn, in Rhondda; Cynon; Taff and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8433

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penderyn ".