Place:


Aldrington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aldrington like this:

ALDRINGTON, or Atherington, a parish in Steyning district, Sussex; on the coast, near the South Coast railway, 3 miles W of Brighton. Post Town, Brighton. Acres, 776. Pop., 7. Houses, 2. A village here which antiquaries suppose to have been the Portus Adurni of the Romans, which some also suppose to have been given by King Alfred to his younger son, and which came to bear the same name. ...


as the parish, was destroyed at no very late period, by encroachment of the sea. So much of the parish also was carried away that not an inhabitant was found in it at the Censuses of 1801-31. The ruins of the church, in early English architecture, still exist. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £294. Patron, Magdalene College, Cambridge.

Aldrington through time

Aldrington is now part of Brighton and Hove district. Click here for graphs and data of how Brighton and Hove has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aldrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aldrington, in Brighton and Hove and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8371

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aldrington ".