In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fernhurst like this:
FARNHURST, or Fernhurst, a parish in Midhurst district, Sussex; 3½ miles S by W of Haslemere r. station, and 4½ N by E of Midhurst. It has a post office under Liphook. Acres, 4, 757. Real property, £2, 230. Pop., 769. Houses, 116. The property is divided among a few. The scenery, in the S, is wild and various; and a very fine view is obtained at Henley hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Valne, £111.* Patron, the Earl of Egmont. The church is early English and good; and has a shingle spire.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fernhurst has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chichester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fernhurst and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fernhurst, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fernhurst".