Place:


Hertford  Hertfordshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Hertford like this:

Hertford, mun. bor. and capital of Herts, on river Lea, 24½ miles N. of London by rail, 12 NE. of St Albans, and 2 SW. of Ware, 816 ac., pop. 7747; 2 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The "harts-ford" is supposed to be the origin of the name of this town, which during the Saxon era was a place of no little importance. ...


On several occasions it was reduced by the Danes. Of the castle built by Edward the Elder very little now remains, the site being occupied by a building which is used as a private residence. The industries of the town are unimportant, but there is a considerable trade in agricultural products, the corn market being one of the largest in Britain. The bor. returned 1 member until 1885.

Hertford through time

Hertford is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hertford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hertford in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/836

Date accessed: 23rd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hertford ".