Place:


Whiston  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whiston like this:

WHISTON, a parish in Hardingstone district, Northamptonshire; on the river Nen, 1¼ mile SW of Castle-Ashby r. station, and 6¾ E by S of Northampton. Post town, Northampton. Acres, 809. Real property, £1,640. Pop., 69. Houses, 14. Place House is alleged, but without any good evidence, to have been a residence of King John. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £250.* Patron, Lord Boston. The church is later English.

Whiston through time

Whiston is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whiston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whiston in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8345

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whiston ".