Place:


Chiddingly  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chiddingly like this:

CHIDDINGLY, or Chittingleigh, a parish in Halesham district, Sussex: 4½ miles NW of Hailsham town and r. station. It has a post office under Hurst Green. Acres, 4, 297. Real property, £4, 922. Pop., 992. Houses, 199. The property is much subdivided. Chiddingly Place, once the seat of the Jefferays, was a very large Tudor mansion, but is now a fragmentary ruin. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £158. Patron, the Dowager Countess Amherst. The church is chiefly early English; but has a lofty steeple of later date: and it contains a stately monument of Chief Baron Sir John Jefferay. There are a national school, and charities £12.

Chiddingly through time

Chiddingly is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chiddingly itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chiddingly, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8304

Date accessed: 20th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chiddingly ".