Place:


Chalvington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chalvington like this:

CHALVINGTON, a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; adjacent to the river Cuckmere, 2½ miles NNW of Berwick r. station, and 5 W of Hailsham. Post Town, Ripe, under Hurst Green. Acres, 729. Real property, £1,057. Pop., 149. Houses, 26. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £200.* Patron, O. Fuller Meyrick, Esq. The church is decorated English.

Chalvington through time

Chalvington is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chalvington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chalvington, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8297

Date accessed: 17th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chalvington ".