Place:


Weedon Bec  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Weedon Bec like this:

WEEDON, W.-Beck, or W.-on-the-Street, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Daventry district, Northampton. The village stands on Watling-Street, the Grand Junction canal, and the Northwestern railway, 4 miles SE of Daventry; is a scattered place; and has a head post-office,‡ a r. ...


station with telegraph, extensive military barracks, a military prison, and a police station. The parish comprises 1,710 acres. Real property, £6,430; of which £100 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,833; in 1861, 2,189,-of whom 390 were in the barracks, and 130 in the prison. The decrease of pop. was caused by the removal of soldiers and the closing of Government stores. The property is subdivided. A nunnery was founded here in 680, by Werburgh, daughter of Wulfere of Mercia; was burnt by the Danes; was refounded as a cell to Bec abbey, in France; and was given, by Henry VI., to Eton College. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rev. T.Thornton. The church was rebuilt in 1825, but has a Norman tower. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £101 a year, and charities £52.—The sub-district contains ten parishes. Acres, 18,496. Pop., 5,926. Houses, 1,271.

Weedon Bec through time

Weedon Bec is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Weedon Bec itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Weedon Bec, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8275

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Weedon Bec ".