Place:


Baildon  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Baildon like this:

BAILDON, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Otley parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the river Aire and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 2 miles NNE of Shipley r. station, and 5 N of Bradford. It has a post office under Leeds, and fairs on 2 March and 4 Nov. Its inhabitants are employed chiefly in woollen and worsted manufactures.-The township comprises 1,722 acres. ...


Real property, £9,123. Pop., 3,895. Houses, 854. Baildon Hill, in the W, is 922 feet high, and has ancient entrenchments and tumuli. The chapelry is conterminate with the township. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £148.* Patrons, Trustees. There are three dissenting chapels and a national school.

Baildon through time

Baildon is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Baildon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Baildon, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/82

Date accessed: 23rd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Baildon ".