Place:


Hints  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hints like this:

HINTS, a village and a parish in Tamworth district, Stafford. The village stands on Watling street and on an affluent of the river Tame, near the boundary with Warwick, 4 miles WSW of Tamworth town and r. station; and was anciently known as Hendon, signifying " old town." The parish comprises 1,849 acres. ...


Posttown, Tamworth. Real property, £3, 375. Pop., 200. Houses, 41. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Hints Hall, belongs to John Floyer, Esq. A large tumulus, supposed to be Roman, is near the church; a pig of lead, weighing 150 lbs., and having a Roman inscription, was found, in 1792, on Hints common; and an old priory was once at Canwell. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Weeford, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is of Grecian architecture; occupies the site of a previous church, on a lofty situation; and contains monuments of the Floyers and the Lawleys. There is a free school.

Hints through time

Hints is now part of Lichfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lichfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hints itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hints, in Lichfield and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8172

Date accessed: 15th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hints ".