Place:


Polebrook  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Polebrook like this:

POLEBROOK, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Northampton. The village stands 1 mile E of the river Nen, 1½ E of the Northampton and Peterborough railway, and 2 E S E of Oundle. The parish contains also the hamlet of Armston, and is in Oundle district. Post-town, Oundle. Acres, 2, 730. ...


Real property, £3, 324. Pop., 488. Houses, 109. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £420.* Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is partly Norman, partly early English; consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with tower and broochspire; and was recently repaired. There is a free school. The hundred contains also 5 other parishes and parts of 3 others. Acres, 19, 840. Pop. in 1851, 5, 596; in 1861, 5, 723. Houses, 1, 154.

Polebrook through time

Polebrook is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Polebrook itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Polebrook in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8125

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Polebrook ".