Place:


Clent  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clent like this:

CLENT, two hamlets and a parish in Bromsgrove district, Worcester. The hamlets are Lower and Upper Clent; they jointly comprise all the parish; and the former lies on the verge of the county, near the West Midland railway, 3½ miles SSW of Stourbridge, and has a post office under Stourbridge. ...


Acres of the parish, 2, 365. Real property, £6, 934. Pop., 966. Houses, 227. The property is divided among a few. Clent Hall is the seat of the Amphletts; and Hagley Park is the seat of Lord Lyttleton. The Clent Hills have broad slopes and pleasant hollows; and form a fine foil to the Black Country of Warwick. Kenelm, king of Mercia, was murdered here, at Cowdale, in 819, by his sister Quendrida. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £417.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but good; and there are Baptist and Methodist chapels, and charities £132.

Clent through time

Clent is now part of Bromsgrove district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bromsgrove has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clent itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clent, in Bromsgrove and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8091

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clent ".