Place:


Penrith  Cumberland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Penrith like this:

Penrith.-- market town and par. with ry. sta., Cumberland, on river Eamont, 17½ miles SE. of Carlisle and 282 miles NW. of London, 7587 ac., pop. 9268; P.O. T.O., 3 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-day, Tuesday. In olden times the town suffered much from the warlike incursions of the Scots. ...


It stands on the outskirts of the Lake District, is well built, has a grammar school founded in 1340, and is a prosperous place, chiefly through its market being the centre of a large agricultural trade. By artificial means a great deal of land, formerly waste, has been made highly productive. Near the ry. sta., at W. of town, stands the ruined castle dismantled by the Parliamentarians during the great Civil War. Several interesting antiquities and fine seats are within easy distance of the town.

Penrith through time

Penrith is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penrith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penrith, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/808

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penrith ".