Place:


Laxton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Laxton like this:

LAXTON, a parish in the district of Uppingham and county of Northampton; near the river Welland at the boundary with Rutland, 3¼ miles SE of Seaton r. station, and 6 SE of Uppingham. It has a post office under Uppingham. Acres, 1, 370. Real property, £1, 331. Pop., 119. Houses, 28. ...


The property is divided among a few. Laxton Hall is the seat of Lord Carberry; has a fine Ionic portico, and a fine vestibule; and contains a good collection of pictures, chiefly by the old masters. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, not reported. Patron, Lord Carberry. The church is very ancient, and was recently in a dilapidated condition. There is a small free school.

Laxton through time

Laxton is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Laxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Laxton in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8052

Date accessed: 20th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Laxton ".