Place:


Elford  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elford like this:

ELFORD, a parish in Lichfield district, Stafford; on the river Tame, and on the verge of the county, adjacent to the Derby and Birmingham railway, 4½ miles ENE of Lichfield. It has a post office‡ under Tamworth, and a station, jointly with Haselour, on the railway. Acres, 2, 070. ...


Real property, £5, 210. Pop., 461. Houses, 108. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, before the Conquest, to Earl Algar; passed to the Crown; went to successively the Ardernes, the Stanleys, and others; and belongs now to the Howards. Elford Park is the seat of the Howards; was a frequent resort of Edward IV. for hunting; and gave lodging, for a night, to Henry VII., when on his way to Bosworth. The grounds connected with it contain two barrows. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Heirs of the late Col. Howard. The church is ancient; was restored in 1849; and has effigies of the Ardernes, the Stanleys, and the Smiths. Charities, £30.

Elford through time

Elford is now part of Lichfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lichfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elford, in Lichfield and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8044

Date accessed: 23rd September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elford ".