Place:


Kilsby  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kilsby like this:

KILSBY, a parish in the district of Rugby and county of Northampton; on Watling street, the Northwestern railway, and the Oxford canal, adjacent to Warwickshire and near Crick r. station, 5½ miles N of Daventry. It has a post office‡ under Rugby. Acres, 3, 200. Real property, £5, 464. ...


Pop., 539. Houses, 143. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Richard Lee and Thomas O. Gery, Esqs. A tunnel of the Northwestern railway here is nearly 1½ mile long. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £160.* Patron, the Precentor of Lincoln Cathedral. The church is a fine edifice, with a spire. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £16.

Kilsby through time

Kilsby is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kilsby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kilsby, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8042

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kilsby ".