Place:


Islip  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Islip like this:

ISLIP, a village and a parish in Thrapston district, Northampton. The village stands on the river Nen, adjacent to the Peterborough railway, ½ a mile WNW of Thrapston; and has a post office under Thrapston. The parish comprises 1, 370 acres. Real property, £3, 166. Pop., 627. Houses, 135. ...


The manor belongs to W. B. Stopford, Esq. The manufacture of rush collars and matting is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £377.* Patron, Mrs. W. Stopford. The church is later English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and crocketted spire; and was restored in 1854. There are a national school, and charities £111.

Islip through time

Islip is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Islip itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Islip in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8039

Date accessed: 22nd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Islip ".