Place:


Little Houghton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Houghton like this:

HOUGHTON (Little), a parish in Hardingstone district, Northamptonshire; on the river Nen and the Northampton and Peterborough railway, near Billing Road r. station, 3½ miles E by S of Northampton. It has a post office under Northampton. Acres, 1, 070. Real property, £3, 817. Pop., 578. ...


Houses, 134. The manor belongs to W. Smyth, Esq.; and most of the land belongs to him, to T. Marriot, Esq., and to the Rev.Smyth. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Brafield-on-the-Green, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £350. * Patron, the Rev.Smyth. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, an endowed school with £21 a year, and some charities.

Little Houghton through time

Little Houghton is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Houghton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Houghton in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8034

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Houghton ".