Place:


Horton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horton like this:

HORTON, a parish in Hardingstone district, Northamptonshire; on an affluent of the river Nen, near the boundary with Bucks, 4½ miles S of Billing-Road r. station, and 6 SE of Northampton. Post town, Piddington, under Northampton. Acres, 2, 790. Real property, £2, 032. Pop., 76. Houses, 15. ...


The manor belonged formerly to the Salusburys, the Parrs, the Lanes, the Montagues, and others; and, with Horton Hall, belongs now to the Rev. Sir Henry J. Gunning, Bart. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Piddington, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £98. Patron, the Rev. Sir H. J. Gunning, Bart. The church is decorated English, and was partly rebuilt, partly restored, in 1862. Montague, the first Earl of Halifax, the friend of Addison, Pope, and other literati, was born at Horton Hall.

Horton through time

Horton is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horton in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8026

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horton ".