Place:


Gretton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gretton like this:

GRETTON, a village and a parish in the district of Uppingham and county of Northampton. The village stands gear the river Welland and the boundary with Rutland, 2½ miles ENE of Rockingham r. station, and 4¾ SE by S of Uppingham; and has a post office under Uppingham. The parish comprises 4, 450 acres. ...


Real property, £6, 633. Pop., 909. Houses, 196. Fully half of the land belongs to the Earl of Winchelsea. Kirby Hall, built by the Hattons in the time of Elizabeth, is a large and beautiful mansion going to ruin. Many Roman and early mediæval coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £268. * Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church was rebuilt in 1868, and is in the second pointed style. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £14.

Gretton through time

Gretton is now part of Corby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Corby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gretton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gretton, in Corby and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7958

Date accessed: 27th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gretton ".