Place:


Fineshade  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fineshade like this:

FINESHADE, a ville-chapelry in the district of Up pingham and county of Northampton; near the river Welland and the boundary with Rutland, 4½ miles SSW of Ketton r. station, and 8 NNW of Oundle. Post town, Duddington, under Stamford. Acres, 840. Real property, £920. Pop., 73. Houses, 15. ...


An Angustinian priory was built here, in the time of King John, by Richard Engain, on the site of an ancient fortress called Castle Hymel; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Russells. Fineshade House now occupies the priory's site. The living is a donative in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, not reported. Patron,Kirkham, Esq.

Fineshade through time

Fineshade is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fineshade itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fineshade in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7932

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fineshade ".