Place:


Ecton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ecton like this:

ECTON, a parish in Wellingborough district, Northamptonshire; on the river Nen, and on the Northampton and Peterborough railway, near Castle-Ashby r. station, 6 miles W by N of Northampton. It has a post office under Northampton. Acres, 1, 790. Real property, £5, 036. Pop., 640. Houses, 140. ...


The property is divided among a few. Ecton Hall is the seat of the Isted family; and has a summer-house by Inigo Jones. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £570.* Patron, the Crown. The church is good; and there are a Baptist chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £30. The parsonage contains a portrait of Hogarth by himself. Whalley, the editor of Bridge's County History, was a native; and the ancestors of Franklin, for three centuries, were residents.

Ecton through time

Ecton is now part of Wellingborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wellingborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ecton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ecton, in Wellingborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7908

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ecton ".