Place:


Alrewas  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alrewas like this:

ALREWAS, a village and a parish in Lichfield district, Stafford. The village stands on the Grand Trunk canal, near the South Stafford railway, the river Trent, the river Tame, and Ryknield-street, 5 miles NE of Lichfield. It has a station on the railway ¾ of a mile distant, a post office under Lichfield,‡ and an inn. ...


Pop., 1,125. Houses, 264. The parish includes also the townships of Orgreave and Fradley. Acres, 4,329. Real property, £11,287. Pop., 1,633. Houses, 379. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given to Lichfield cathedral in 822. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £328. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is good. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. Charities, £26.

Alrewas through time

Alrewas is now part of Lichfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lichfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alrewas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alrewas, in Lichfield and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7854

Date accessed: 18th July 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alrewas ".