Place:


Staunton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Staunton like this:

STAUNTON, a township in Newark district, and a parish partly also in Bingham district, Notts. The township lies on the river Devon, 2¾ miles N of Bottesford r. station. Acres, 1,410. Real property, £1,532. Pop., 87. Houses, 16. The manor, with S. Hall, has belonged to the Staunton family since the Norman conquest. The parish includes Flawborough chapelry, and comprises 2,375 acres. Post town, Elton, under Nottingham. Pop., 151. Houses, 28. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £322.* Patron, Rev. F. Staunton. The church was restored in 1854.

Staunton through time

Staunton is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Staunton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staunton, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7764

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Staunton ".