Place:


South Scarle  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Scarle like this:

SCARLE (South), a township and a parish in Newark district, Notts. The township lies 1 mile W of Swinder-by r. station, and 7 N N E of Newark. Acres, 1, 540. Real property, £8, 818. Pop., 175. Houses, 43. The parish contains also the township of Besthorpe, with a post-office under Newark; and comprises 2,050 acres. ...


Pop., 513. Houses, 108. The manor of Moreland, including all the parish and extending beyond it, is heldby the Duke of Newcastle under lease from the Crown. The living is a vicarage, with Besthorpe and Girton, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is ancient. There are a chapel of ease, three dissenting chapels, a freeschool, and charities £19.

South Scarle through time

South Scarle is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Scarle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Scarle, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7749

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Scarle ".