Place:


West Retford  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Retford like this:

RETFORD (West), a parish in East Retford district, Notts; on the river Idle and the Great Northern railway, adjacent to East Retford, and communicating with that town by a bridge. Post-town, Retford. Acres, 1,080. Real property, £3, 386. Pop., 637. Houses, 169. The property is divided among a few. ...


W. R. Hall was formerly the seat of the Denmans and the Emersons, and is now the seat of B. Huntsman, Esq. W. R. House is the seat of H. B. W. Milner, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £550.* Patron, J. Hood, Esq. The church was restored and enlarged in 1864; and has a lofty square tower, with octagonal spire. There are an endowed school with £10 a year, an hospital or alms-house with £1, 145, and other charities £34.

West Retford through time

West Retford is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Retford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Retford, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7742

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Retford ".