Place:


Stratford St Mary  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stratford St Mary like this:

STRATFORD-ST. MARY, a parish, with a village, in Samford district, Suffolk; on the river Stour, at or near the Roman Ad Ansam, 3½ miles WNW of Manningtree r. station. It has a post-office under Colchester, a police station, and a fair on 22 June; and is a meet for the Essex and Suffolk hounds. ...


Acres, 1,461. Real property, £3,951. Pop., 655. Houses, 149. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £296. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The. church is later English. There are a parochial library, a national school, and charities £27.

Stratford St Mary through time

Stratford St Mary is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stratford St Mary itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stratford St Mary, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7730

Date accessed: 17th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stratford St Mary ".