Place:


Ordsall  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ordsall like this:

ORDSALL, a village and a parish in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands on the river Idle, near the intersection of the Great Northern and the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railways, 1 mile S of East Retford; and has a post-office under Retford. The parish contains two railway stations, and the hamlets of Thrumpton and Whitehouses. ...


Acres, 1, 989. Real property, £7, 328. Pop. in 1851, 1, 342; in 1861, 1, 911. Houses, 428. The increase of pop. arose partlyfrom the establishment of the two railway stations, and partly from the operation of Land societies. The property is much subdivided. Ordsall proper, or the Wside of the parish, is in the royal manor of Elksley, leased by the Duke of Newcastle; and Thrumptonmanor, or the E side, belongs to G. H. Vernon, Esq. There are several good residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £530. Patron, Lord Wharncliffe. The church is old, and inpointed architecture; and has a very fine tower. Charities, £8.

Ordsall through time

Ordsall is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ordsall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ordsall, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7718

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ordsall ".