Place:


Snape  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Snape like this:

SNAPE, a village and a parish in Plomesgate district, Suffolk. The village stands near the river Alde, 3½ miles S by E of Saxmundham r. station; bears the name of S.-Street; and has a post-office of the name of S. under Saxmundham. The parish contains also the hamlet of S.-Bridge, which has a horse fair on 11 Aug. ...


Acres, 2,100. Real property, £2,219. Pop., 554. Houses, 124. S. House is the seat of J. Scarlett, Esq. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Colchester, was founded here, in 1099, by W. Martell; was given, by Henry VII., to Butley abbey; went, at the dissolution, to the Duke of Norfolk; and is now a farmhouse. A branch railway, for goods only, comes to S.-Bridge. There are two barrows. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Friston-The church has a rich later English nave, and a Norman tower; and was restored in 1864. There are a national school, and charities £6.

Snape through time

Snape is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Snape itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Snape in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7684

Date accessed: 17th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Snape ".