Place:


Cotterstock  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cotterstock like this:

COTTERSTOCK, a parish in Oundle district, Northampton; on the river Nen, adjacent to the Northampton and Peterborough railway, 2 miles N by E of Oundle. Post town, Oundle. Acres, 690. Real property, £1, 445. Pop., 211. Houses, 43. The property is divided among a few. Cotterstock Hall belonged to Norton, the friend of Dryden; was the place where that poet wrote his " Fables, " and spent the two last summers of his life; and belongs now to the Berkeleys. ...


Tesselated pavements and other Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Glapthorn, in-the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £105.* Patron, Viscount Melville. The church was made collegiate in 1339; has stalls and a canopied brass: and is good. Charities, £5.

Cotterstock through time

Cotterstock is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cotterstock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cotterstock in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7676

Date accessed: 25th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cotterstock ".